Dig right now into the Wamono sound - the cream of the Japanese funk, soul, rare groove and disco music developed throughout the years since the end of the sixties in Japan!
- Fully licensed Nippon Columbia and Victor Japan masters available for the first time outside of Japan, featuring Akira Ishikawa, Jiro Inagaki, Chikara Ueda, Kifu Misuhashi, Toshiko Yonekawa and more!
- Tracks selection by Japanese super diggers and Wamono specialists DJ Yoshizawa Dynamite and Chintam
- Mastered and cut at Timmion Cutting Lab
- Artwork by Yoxxx (Tokyo)
- 180g heavy vinyl pressing
Active as a professional DJ in Japan since the late eighties, DJ Yoshizawa Dynamite is also a renowned remixer, compiler and producer. An avid record collector and an expert of the Wamono style, Yoshizawa published the Wamono A to Z records guide book in 2015 which instantly sold-out. The book unveiled a myriad of beautiful and rare records from a highly prolific, but still then unknown, Japanese groove scene.
After many years working as a record buyer for several stores, DJ Chintam opened his own Blow Up shop in 2018 in Tokyo's Shibuya district. A member of the Dayjam Crew and a specialist of soul, funk, rare groove and disco music, Chintam is also an expert of the home-brewed Wamono grooves. He supervised and wrote the Wamono A to Z records guide book together with Yoshizawa.
With this first volume of the Wamono series, our two DJs here guide you through some of the best and rarest jazz funk and rare groove tunes produced in Japan between 1968 and 1980. Put the needle on the record, turn up the volume and dig right now into the Wamono sound - the cream of the Japanese funk, soul, rare groove and disco music developed throughout the years since the end of the sixties in Japan!
All tracks licensed by Nippon Columbia except A3 licensed by Victor Entertainment, Japan.
Compilation produced and all tracks selected by DJ Yoshizawa Dynamite & Chintam.
LP release production by Ryohei "Nitchiku-kun" Tanaka (Nippon Columbia), Gregory Gouty and Maxime Brottes (180g).
Art direction and design by Yasuho Takahashi (Yoxxx, Zooham).
Original illustration by Akira Teranishi.
Illustration retouch by Toshiko.
Mastering and lacquer cut by Timmion Cutting Lab, Helsinki, Finland.
180GWALP01 - Manufactured and distributed by 180g.
- Wamono A to Z Vol. II - Japanese Funk 1970-1977 (180GWALP02)
- WamonoA to Z Vol. III - Japanese Light Mellow Funk, Disco & Boogie 1978-1988 (180GWALP03)